With unspoiled white sand beaches and numerous historic sites, Gulfport is one of the most popular vacation destinations in Mississippi. The city is second only to Jackson in terms of size, and is located right in the heart of the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Gulfport was once a humble lumber port and has since grown to become one of the best and most famous tourist destinations in the state. Not only does it have stunning natural landscapes, it also has plenty of other attractions including casinos and golf courses.
Despite its status as a big city, Gulfport hasn’t lost its small-town charm – neighbors are just as friendly as they are in Mississippi’s smaller, more secluded enclaves and the surroundings are just as beautiful.
- Gulfport encompasses 64.2 square miles.
- It has a diverse population.
- Gulfport was founded by William H. Hardey, president of the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad, and was first incorporated in 1898.
- Residents of the area enjoy pleasant weather year round, with winters that are short and relatively warm.
- It hosts multiple cultural events such as the "World's Largest Fishing Rodeo," "Cruisin' the Coast" and "Smokin' the Sound."
- Gulfport is home to the Jefferson Davis Campus of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.
- Gulfport has produced several well-known personalities including professional basketball players Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, Timmy Bowers, and Tiffany Travis; astronaut Stuart Roosa; and talk show host Tavis Smiley.
Homes for Sale in Gulfport
Visit Gulfport and you may be persuaded to be part of the more than 260,000 residents who call this city their home.
The city is also one of the most popular places for retirement in the United States because the cost of living is about 4% lower than the national average, according to Forbes.
If you think Gulfport is your kind of town, or if you’d like to find out more about this area, contact real estate professionals at Coldwell Banker Smith Homes today.
Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed