It can be challenging to look for a place that strikes the perfect balance between dynamic commercial opportunities and a casual lifestyle. Often, one cancels the other out. But the city of Pascagoula is a striking exception.
Pascagoula is synonymous with two things: coastal living and big industry. Located in the heart of the Mississippi Gulf Coast, east of Gautier and south of Moss Point, this vibrant community is a hub of shipbuilding and oil refinery.
An exhilarating combination of natural wonders and the fast pace of big business, Pascagoula is considered Mississippi’s flagship city.
- Pascagoula is one of the biggest cities in the state, with a total area exceeding 18 square miles.
- This once sleepy town of only 5,000 residents exploded into a thriving industrial city in Mississippi. It now has a population of over 26,000.
- Pascagoula is home to the largest port in the state of Mississippi. The port is one of the top employers in the area and has over 20,000 employees.
- Pascagoula means “bread eater.” The city was named after the Indian tribe that once inhabited the area.
- The city is located right where the great Pascagoula River empties into the Mississippi Sound.
- The Pascagoula anchors one of the last and largest free-flowing river systems in the country and is also known as the Singing River. Legend has it that the Pascagoula tribe chose to drown, chanting as they forded the waters, rather than be enslaved and killed by the Spanish or the Biloxi tribe. During summer and autumn evenings, it’s said that the sad song of those who perished in the waters can still be heard along the riverbanks.
- Celebrated names who hail from this town by the sea include well-known singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffet; NFL players Chuck Commiskey, Shane Matthews, Richard Harvey, and Terrell Buckley; and former Republican Senator Trent Lott.
Homes for Sale in Pascagoula
There are many choice real estate options in Pascagoula, including 2 to 4-bedroom single-family homes and vacant land for those interested in building a custom home.
Contact the real estate professionals at Coldwell Banker Smith Homes to let us know what you’re looking for in Pascagoula.
Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed