Between work, family and social obligations, and long commutes, people have begun to hanker for a retreat from the noise and the chaos of the big city.
Wiggins in rural Mississippi is one such retreat. Located 45 miles north of Biloxi, the county seat of Stone County has a total area of just under a dozen square miles and is populated by a little less than 5,000 residents.
Tucked between Bond County and Perkinston, this small city was founded in 1830, which was when the first settlers arrived and began felling the yellow pine that once covered vast tracts of the area. The town, which was originally called Niles City, was eventually named after Wiggins Hatten, one of the earliest homesteaders.
- Wiggins is an hour from the coast and is surrounded by numerous water formations including the beautiful Flint Creek Reservoir.
- Every year, the town hosts a town fair called Pine Hill Festival. The festival features residents of Wiggins showcasing the region’s best art, produce, and cuisine.
- The city is part of the Stone County School District, which administers two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school, which number among the best in the state.
- Commuting to work takes an average of 25 minutes.
- Notable personalities hailing from Wiggins, Mississippi include actors Taylor Spreitler and Anthony Herrera, Baseball Hall of Fame inductee Jay Hanna ”Dizzy” Dean; and former Oklahoma State Senator Jay Paul Gumm.
Homes for Sale in Wiggins
This beautiful city is an untapped gem and it might just be the perfect place for you to find your dream home!
Available properties include 3-bedroom single-family residences, large farms and ranches, and smaller acreage lots, among a host of others.
To help narrow down your real estate options in Wiggins depending on your needs and lifestyle, contact the real estate professionals at Coldwell Banker Smith Homes today.
Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed